The post office opened on August 1, 1896. The town is named after the first postmaster, Anton H. Jackson.
Jackson lies on Montana Secondary Highway 278, south of Wisdom and northwest of Dillon. Hot springs are just east of the town. Warm Springs Creek flows nearby. Tweedy Mountain is to the east and Bannack State Park is to the south.